Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Mini-vacation finish

I took last Friday, Monday, and today off as a mini-vacation. I stayed at home and played video games most of Friday-Sunday. I had a blast playing my new LEGO City Undercover, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and a little Mario Kart 8 (yes, I'm apparently as attention-deficit with video games as I am with all the other things I do). Oh, and CC and I played a little Resident Evil 6, since we can play that co-op offline. :)

Then yesterday I decided to work some more on High Cotton. I got all of the pieced blocks put together yesterday afternoon while listening to an audiobook.

I laid out my solid blocks for the border, but didn't get to piecing those to the quilt until this morning. And here is the finished quilt top!

Now I just need to piece the backing together and get it ready to take to my favorite long-arm quilter. I'm so excited to have this one close to being finished because it's a gift for my Dad. He won't need it for a few more months, but I've been wanting to make him a quilt of his own for a while, and when I saw this one in Kim Diehl's book, Simple Comforts, I thought it would be perfect for him.

Putting those blocks high up on the design wall is not as difficult as it used to be - I still tend to use my left arm more than my right, but I'm getting better with the right one. I'm just over 5 months post-surgery now and the shoulder is getting a little better each week that passes. Which reminds me, it's time to go do my exercises!

Monday, July 21, 2014

CC's new scarf

So, I made it over to Haus of Yarn Saturday and picked up another skein of the Zen Yarn Garden Serenity Silk Single in Bronze Age. I picked up a few other skeins of yarn for gifts I plan to make. I was knitting on one of my current projects Sunday, and CC looked over and said, "That doesn't look like a scarf..." so I put it down, pulled out the yarn for his new scarf and started to work. I had presented him with a couple of options, and he chose the Falling Water Scarf. I finished one repeat of the pattern Sunday, and started (but didn't finish) another repeat tonight.

I think it's going to be a handsome scarf. It has the look of cabling without the cables, and the pattern is actually quite easy as long as I keep up with where I am (thus the stitch markers and a post it note on my pattern). I decided to knit four repeats instead of three.

I've also been eyeing some fancy stitch markers. I know that most are not very expensive, but I also know that I have some beads that I thought would look pretty as such, and I really should do something with them instead of leaving them in a box. So I found a do-it-yourself tutorial on making stitch markers and ran to get a few supplies that I was missing (mainly, the head pins and mini toggles). I made nine of them in a little over an hour. They might be too long for some projects, but I bet they'll be just fine for others.

The ones on the top have little frosted plastic trumpet beads that I got from Beadbox (Janet Coles Beads, no longer in business, sadly). They had some very beautiful beads, and the most wonderful catalogs. Several friends and I would just sit and drool over them, imagining what we might order if we'd won the lottery. They had some very beautiful beads, and I really liked the jewelry models in their catalogs and her Book of Beads. I still have a few leftover beads, so I'm sure I'll be making a few more stitch markers in the future.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

New yarn stash

I dropped by the Haus of Yarn yesterday and (even though I haven't finished current works in progress) picked up some new yarn for future projects.

Knitwhits Freia Handpaints Freia Ombré Lace in Vertigo

I am planning to make either a scarf or a shawl with Freia Vertigo. I love the colors and the gradation and can't wait to see how it works up. It's a wool / nylon blend.

Shibui Knits Sock in Sand

Shibui Knits Sock yarn is discontinued, but I love it so much, and I'm glad they still had a few skeins of it. I made three scarves, one for each of my nieces and I also made a scarf for myself from this yarn in 2009. This color is much more subtle, so I think it will show off a patterned scarf very nicely. It's 100% superwash merino wool.

Zen Yarn Garden Serenity Silk Single in Bronze Age

Serenity Silk Single is a merino, cashmere, and silk blend, and it is so yummy. I plan to make the Eyelet Lace Shawl with it. CC saw it and commented that it would make a great scarf for him too. Hmmm... looks like I'll be heading back over to Haus of Yarn for another skein... :)

Saturday, July 12, 2014

The start of my V-neck tunic

Back in May I tried to do a little crochet, thinking that it wouldn't be too difficult. I quickly learned that it used muscles that weren't ready for that type of work, and put it down knowing that I would come back when I was ready. This was how far I had gotten.

Since that time, I have gotten it back out, put it back away, gotten it back out, and put it back away. I have made very slow progress on it. But today I was able to actually crochet several new rows, and here is my current progress.

It is coming along!

I hope that it will turn out nicely. The yarn is 100% cotton, which can be heavy. I almost wish I had picked an acrylic / wool blend or something with a little bit of a halo because that's how the model looks to me in the photo. This is a closeup, and there is definitely no fuzziness to the yarn, which is the recommended Patons Grace.

I am definitely enjoying working on it now, so it will go into the "rotation" of projects I have in progress. If I get ambitious, I might finish it before next Winter ends. :)

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Finished kerchiefs

Ta-da! The green one is finished, as is the arco iris one. I love them both and want to make more, more, more shawls and kerchiefs. All I need is time. And about 3 more pairs of arms. :)