Navigation to

Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Sun Sets Happy Dance

I have been working on The Sun Sets exclusively (as my cross stitch project anyway) since the last time I posted a progress picture, and now I can happily say that, except for the buttons, it is finished! I stopped by my LNS Friday and ordered the ones it calls for, so hopefully they'll come in pretty quickly so I can put this project in the "ready for framing" category.

I'm still working on my online class quilt blocks. My machine has started skipping stitches every so often, and I've tried all the usual fixes for that to no avail. I haven't had it serviced in over a year anyway, and the sewing machine store actually had a coupon for $49.99 service (normally either $80 or $90), so I'm taking advantage of that - dropped it off this afternoon.

Until then, I'm using my old machine, thank goodness I didn't get rid of it when I got the new one! It doesn't have all the features that my new one does, but it stitches a nice, straight stitch, so it will be just fine for the paper piecing that I'm working on right now. Gonna go do that while C watches the Busch and Indy Car races tonight.

Happy weekend!!!

Sunday, June 14, 2009


For this week's lesson in my online quilting class, we finally get to the appliqué part of the appliqué blocks!

First up, Dresden plate - stitched with monofilament (invisible) thread, using a blind hem stitch. The photos show the finished block and a closeup of it.

Next is the Honeybee block - stitched with a thread matching the bee body and wings fairly closely, using a blanket stitch.

Finally is the Crossed Roses block - also stitched with a thread matching the flowers and leaves fairly closely, and using a blanket stitch.

This weekend is also the Second Saturday block of the month, and here is the Wedding Ring.

And since I had the camera out, I finally took a picture of my progress on The Sun Sets. It's coming along quite nicely!

I may actually try to finish it up before getting back to the Grapes Pillow and finishing THAT up. Wouldn't that be cool, two finishes pretty closely in a row?

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Online Quilting Class update

Maple leaf block, finished

Honeybee block, prepared for appliqué, not finished

Crossed roses block, part 1, nearly prepared for appliqué

I've also got my Dresden plate prepared for appliqué. We are learning 3 different methods for machine appliqué in this class, one technique per block. This week we'll get to finish the appliqué blocks and then next week we tackle paper piecing!

In cross stitching, I set aside the grapes for a few days and tackled another "older" project - The Sun Sets. No photo yet, but I'm making some decent progress. It was a really good project to work on during the Moonlight Stitching at my LNS. The other thing I worked on was their make-it-and-take-it, a needle swatch adapted from a pattern by Nordic Needle. It's finished!