Here is what I've been working on for the past several nights, finally finished: my first entirely hand appliquéd block, called Rose Spray. This is the block I mentioned in my last post from the Teach Yourself Blocks from the Past book. I tried several methods for the appliqué: needle-turn, back-basting needle-turn, and invisible. I also tried to kind of pre-turn the edges on one of the leaves, but didn't use any starch or other basting, so it didn't really hold very well. The pieces are really small, so I had to be careful not to cut the seam allowance too large or too small.
I'm pleased with how this block turned out, given my experience. It's a little rough in some places, and I certainly strayed from the lines a bit, but I like my fabric choices, and my stitches are decent. I would like for it to be a little smoother in some places, but I accept that it will rarely be perfect. I also have not yet pressed my block nor trimmed it to size (6 in. finished, so need to trim to 6½ in.), I started with a piece of background fabric 7 inches, so I'm kind of curious how much it shrank due to the stitching.
I haven't done any actual quilting lately, so that's on the schedule for this evening. It's been a while since I've played with my class quilt, and I'm looking forward to getting reacquainted.