Navigation to

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Quilter's Palette nearly finished

After I spent a couple of evenings working on it, the hand quilting was done!

Next is the part that I always dread - binding it. Even more so because this quilt has so many inner corners (SO, SO, SO hard to get to look right!) in addition to all the outer corners (which aren't hard at all).

After creating my bias binding, I found the perfect way to keep it from getting all tangled and up out of the way - I used my thread spool holder.

Then I began sewing it to the front of the quilt.

Now I just have to stitch the binding to the back of the quilt. It wouldn't be so bad in a square quilt, but those inner corners, ouch! I have to push, pull, squeeze, and pinch to try to get it right. It will be worth it in the end, it's just so hard getting there!!!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A new start

After Moonlight Stitching last weekend, where I finally picked up the fabric and fibers for it, I decided to start Mirabilia's Deco Spirits. I've had the chart for a long time, and have been wanting to start it, so I did on Sunday. Here is my first progress picture.

I decided to pull out my Quilters Palette Class Quilt and work on it some more this weekend. I knew that I was getting closer to being finished, but I didn't realize just how close. I finished the hand quilting today during the AFC championship game (yay Steelers!!!!!), so now all that's left is the binding and hanging sleeve. I can't wait to see it finished!

Monday, January 17, 2011

A few updates for the new year

I've been slowly working on my knitted lace scarf, partly because every time I get to the part where I'm knitting the lacy rows, I end up having to rip out and start again. My attention span is not fantastic with this pattern (or any lacy pattern, apparently), or I lose my place and just have to rip back to the knit-only rows. But I do have a few pattern repeats done now, so it's starting to look a little better.

I've been working a little on Teresa Wentzler's Magical Night, which hasn't seen a needle since 2006... here's the latest on it. I was concentrating on the sleigh a little bit this time 'round.

And I wanted to get back to Kitty Litter too, which I haven't stitched for about 6 months. If it looks a little distorted, it's because the fabric shrinks a bit when it's stitched. This is the first piece I've really noticed that on, because it is so densely stitched. So where there is a lot of unstitched area in the middle, it appears to be larger than the left side where it's solidly stitched. It will work itself out.

And since I finished one project, I felt this overwhelming need to start another one - yes, I have a sickness I know. I finally got the fabric and Petite Treasure Braid that I am subbing for the Kreinik for Mirabilia's Deco Spirits. No picture yet, but soon, I promise!

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Figgy Pudding Charm Bracelet quilt is done!

The wonderful Pam Thorne finished quilting this for me back in December, and I finally got the time to bind it. Hooray for another finish!

It has been a very productive weekend, and I'll be sorry to see it go... :)

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Mystery Quilt, Clue #1

Since I have released it to the guild, I can share with you Clue #1 of our Mystery Quilt for 2011. For this clue, you only have to make one of each of 2 blocks. However, so that I could show a couple of different variations, I made 3 different ones - 2 of the large size and 1 of the smaller size (yes, it can be made in either a large 60-inch or a "miniature" 30-inch size).

I have decided for the moment not to post the instructions on the blog. I'm going to have my hands full supporting the guild in this effort that I'm not sure I could truly support this by just putting it out there. However, if you would like instructions as I release them each month, I will be happy to email them to you. The instructions are in PDF format. Just email me (lissylaine at yahoo dot com) with MCQG Mystery Quilt as your subject. I'll email you the first clue when I receive your request, then every month when I release the clue to the guild, I'll email you the next file. And if you decide to participate, I'd love to see your photos!

Okay, here are my completed variations of clue #1:

The top blocks are what I'm calling my desert variation, the middle blocks are of course, the 1930's variation, and the bottom blocks are the 1930's miniature variation. I can't wait to see how they turn out, and what colors / variations everyone else decides to do!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

First finish of 2011

Drumroll please.... :)

Stilts (My Security Blanket) is finished! I picked it up New Year's Day and haven't put it down since, and late last night, as we were finishing Glee Season 1, I put the last backstitches in and signed her. Hooray, and what a great way to start the new year!

Next, I plan to pick up Magical Night, which I haven't touched since 2006!

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year!

Hard to believe another year has come and gone.

And here is the last project I worked on in 2010 - In the Garden page 1 (of 16) completed. Plus, there are some stitches from pages 2 and 5, because I just couldn't end off the stitching when it continued on another page.

Happy New Year to all, and may we all have a better 2011!