Navigation to

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cross stitching!

I have recently pulled out In The Garden, and have just about finished up page two, save for a couple of odd stitches here and there.

I have also been working a little on my Chinese Dragon Gate, and it's hard to get a really accurate photo of the colors (even the fabric, or maybe that should be especially the fabric).

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Been a slow week

Actually it seems like a slow month, like I'm not really accomplishing anything, but I know that's not true.

I decided that I really did not like the border fabric that I pieced to my desert version of the MCQG mystery quilt. The color just made it look sick, once I got it put together. So I began a hunt for a better fabric, and found this, Kaffe Fassett's "Shot" cotton, color Putty. I'll be removing the original borders and making new corner squares to go with it. The color looks MUCH, MUCH better with the colors in this quilt.

And my husband asked for a new "blankie" a few weeks ago. Thing is, he said he wanted one exactly like the one I made for him in 1997/1998. Well... I told him I couldn't find the exact fabrics I had used back then, but I agreed to make him a new homespun flannel plaid quilt in the same pattern. I found some yardage on a web site, and finally finished cutting it out last week. Here is the first bit of piecing - upper right corner. I really like the colors I chose, they read much warmer than his original one, and yet they're still totally appropriate for my guy. :) Actually, in this photo, the maroon reads a little purple, but in real life it's got more red than blue. It probably has to do with all those plaids making the camera go crazy.

I have also started knitting a new pair of socks and have gotten to the point I always have the most difficulty with - turning the heel. Fingers crossed - I'll be picking up stitches next... :)

Thursday, September 08, 2011

A little more quilt work

Over the holiday weekend, I finally finished the Trip to New England quilt top (had to finish appliquéing the leaves on the borders). Note to self, and anyone else who doesn't already know, it's much easier to appliqué on a smaller piece of fabric than a huge one. I machine-stitched these down using a blanket stitch, which was fine when the bulk of the quilt was to the left of the machine, and a real pain when I had to stuff it through the arm...

I also completed two more blocks on my Blocks From the Past quilt - This and That is the pieced block and the appliqué block is just Eagle.

I'm really enjoying the blanket stitch by hand, but I've realized that I really MUST use my thimble, else my middle finger hurts for the next few days.

Oh, and one more - how could I forget a HAPPY DANCE!!! Ruth Donnell quilted my One Block Wonder, and I finally finished binding it over the weekend (which wasn't easy, as my cat Rudy Poo spent most of the weekend sleeping on it).

I entered it in our quarterly quilt challenge at our guild meeting this month, and it was voted as favorite for the month of October! Happy, happy, happy dance!

Friday, September 02, 2011

Diamond Delight Filling Stitch #3

And here is the bottom diamond filling stitch of Diamond Delight VI. One more diamond to fill, and then it's on to the triangles surrounding them.

MCQG Mystery Quilt, versions 1 and 2

I just realized that I never posted the first and second versions that I finished in August. The first one is a 60 inch version, the second is the 30 inch version.

MCQG Mystery Quilt, version 3 finished

This is another 60 inch version, made with mostly 30's fabrics. My favorite way to spend a vacation day!