The first thing we did was sew together the strips and then cut them into diamonds. Then we pieced the diamaonds together into an 8-point star.
Then next we made 8 little log cabin blocks. They ended up having ½ inch wide strips when sewn together. Then we learned how to set these blocks into the 8-point star.
And finally we had a demonstration on how to cut the background diamonds and set them into this design, which will make it an octagon design. I didn't have the time to get to piecing those in - I barely set in the log cabins before our time was up.
I bought enough background fabric to make the entire quilt. I'm not sure if I will do it or not. But I wanted the choice, should I decide it's one I really want to make. I like the concept. It's definitely one that will take some time to finish. All of those set-in seams mean starting and stopping a lot, and I think I would need to alternate it with a quilt that I could chain-piece a little better. She recommended that we make the quilt from our stash, and I like the idea. I don't have very many batiks in my stash, so this would probably be the block with the most batiks in it, and I would hope that that wouldn't stand apart too much. Or I could just make this block into a nice little pillow, and save the templates for when I decide to make one entirely from stash.