One of these days I am going to try hand-quilting with wool batting, but for now I'm using low-loft polyester. It makes the hand quilting SO much easier, and being low-loft, it doesn't end up puffy like you expect with polyester batting.
Anyway, once I got back, I re-pressed my backing fabric, got everything set up, and got down to work. By 3:00 this afternoon, I had all my basting stitches in the quilt sandwich. I decided to use 2 strands of DMC floss this time, since that was recommended in a Sharon Schamber video I watched recently, and it supposedly helps reduce shifting. I used almost 3 skeins of floss!
Now I just need to plan my quilting and get started!